Breaking News


Yorktown Police Chief Resigns

Randall Snyder has resigned from his position as Yorktown Police Chief.  
“He submitted his letter last week.  His last day with the city will be April 25,” Yorktown Mayor René Hernandez said.
According to Mayor Hernandez, Snyder accepted another position that he had applied for earlier that offered a larger salary, noting Snyder did not resign because he was unhappy with the City of Yorktown, but because of better opportunities for himself and his family.
“Although I am disappointed, I can’t fault him,” Mayor Hernandez said of Snyder’s decision.  “It’s a better decision for his family.”
Snyder was hired by Yorktown City Council at a special meeting on February 2.  Snyder began his duties with the department on March 2.  Prior to coming to Yorktown, Snyder had been serving as full-time officer for the City of Rio Hondo in addition to teaching at Harlingen High School.


Former Yorktown police chief arrested

Former Yorktown Chief of Police Paul Delgado Campos was admitted to the DeWitt County Jail today, Sept. 7 at 12:50 p.m. Campos was charged with tampering with government records, defraud/harm and tamper/fabricate physical evidence with intent to impair by the Texas Rangers.

Campos resigned as police chief Sept. 2. He was suspended in mid-July after an investigation by the Texas Rangers concerning allegations that Campos asked a 29-year-old woman to show her breasts in exchange for community service hours credit.

A search warrant indicated Campos made the requests in June. The warrant said during an interview with Ranger Bradley Freeman, the woman said she showed Campos her breasts on three occasions. There was also an agreement to meet at a hotel for additional sexual acts in exchange for community service hour credits.


Investigation involves Yorktown chief

Texas Rangers took action on a search warrant Thursday involving Yorktown Police Chief Paul Campos at Yorktown Police Office According to the search warrant. Chief Campos is suspected of commiting bribery and tampering with a governmental record. Ranger Bradley Freeman stated in the warrant that Campos is accused of granting a 28 year-old Yorktown woman community service hours in exchange for sexual acts. The warrant indicated Campos had made the requests in June. The warrant said during an interview with Ranger Freeman, the woman said she showed Campos her breasts on three occasions. There was also an agreement to meet at a hotel for additional sexual acts in exchange for community service hours. Campos has not been arrested. Friday the indication was that the information will be presented to DeWitt County Grand Jury to determine whether Campos will face indictment on the charges. Campos, 57, has been with the Yorktown Police Department for 34 years.


CMV rollover on Garfield Road

Texas Department of Public Safety is investigating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) rollover on Garfield Road in DeWitt County. The trailer was loaded with crude oil. The crash happened around 2 p.m. today, Jan. 5. There were no spills.
Contributed photo

Tolbert trial comes to close

By Robert Proctor
The Cuero Record
One hour of deliberation was all that was needed to sentence former Cuero police officer Corey Tolbert to eight years in prison for the reckless assault of his wife, Elizabeth Tolbert, on April 17, 2014.
Although originally charged with aggravated assault of a family member and aggravated assault, both felonies, Tolbert, 35, entered a plea of no contest and relied on the district judged to decide punishment. 
Hearings began Tuesday, Aug. 18, with prosecution and defense witnesses testifying about Tolbert’s background and character.
According to testimony, Tolbert and his wife had been drinking and arguing on April 17, 2014. He was accused of striking his wife and knocking her to the ground. It was later determined a trailer attached to his pickup, ran over her causing multiple injuries.

Tolbert trial

Corey Tolbert, who was on trial for reckless assault of his wife, Elizabeth Tolbert, in April 2014, was given 8 years in prison and fined $2,500. Stay tuned to next week's edition of The Cuero Record for the full story.


Two-vehicle wreck

Officers from the Cuero PD were dispatched to the corner of McLeod and E. Bailey for a wreck just after 5 p.m. today.
According to police the driver of a 4-door sedan was turning left from McLeod onto E. Bailey and was struck by a utility truck traveling on E. Bailey. The momentum of the impact caused the sedan to land in a residential yard about 15 feet from a home. 
Cuero Fire Department assisted by Cuero EMS worked to free the driver of the sedan. The extent of injuries are not yet known. We will update this story as information becomes available. 

Wreck on U.S. 87 North

DeWitt County Sheriff's Office and Cuero EMS were at the scene of a two-vehicle wreck on U.S. Highway 87 North near Mustang Mott. More information will be posted as it becomes available.


Pipeline break lights up DeWitt skies

DeWitt County skies turned red Sunday night when a pipeline break resulted in a huge fire between Cuero and Westhoff.
Early reports indicate an Energy Transfer pipeline located near FM 953 and Lindenau Road erupted in fire shortly after sunset.
While several homes were evacuated near the area, there were no reports of any injuries near the break.
Fire departments from Westhoff to Cuero plus numerous first responders were on the scene to fight the fire and control traffic.
Oil production companies with wells in the area responded by shutting down their production to reduce pressure at the pipeline.
A fire command center was established near Lindenau Hall to control the emergency.

Cuero Intermediate School gym set up for temporary housing site

The Red Cross notified Cuero Independent School superintendent Jim Haley that the DeWitt County Sheriff's Office issued a voluntary evacuation order of all affected areas around or near the Guadalupe River.

The Cuero Intermediate School gym will be used as a temporary housing site for flood evacuees beginning at 5 p.m. on Monday, May 25. Staff and volunteers will be on-hand tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. to ready the facility for the people who need to stay there.

“We have been encouraged to keep things as normal as possible, so we are still planning to have school as usual at this time. However, we are maintaining constant contact with one another as well as Red Cross, first responders, and surrounding communities for the latest updates,” Haley said.


Subscribe to RSS - Breaking News